Tuesday, June 30, 2015

What Does A Yellow Light Mean?



#SLOW DOWN.

In the late1970's television sitcom Taxi, Jim ventures over to the DMV with his buddies to take his driver's license written exam.  What ensues is one of the most memorable and humorous exchanges in sitcom history.

It's a skit that comes back to me over and over again as we are encouraged to SPEED UP in our ever changing world.  Often, we're racing from meeting to meeting, taking the next 5-minute call, banging out the next email, and responding to a text.  If you are in the business of relationships (management, leadership, fundraising, etc.) then I ask: Are we really creating "relationships" with all of this busyness?  Contrary to the popular culture, I am here to say that we are not.  We've got lots of activity, and very little depth.  

This past weekend I spent three days with 30 folks in Atlanta really slowing down and getting in touch with the present moment (as well as with each other).  It was a great reminder that relationships are built through long, slow conversations over time.  Emails and text messages don’t cut it.  Relationships blossom when we focus on the other person, and that person comes to know that we are there for them.  "Being with" someone is a lost art, and yet, it can be rediscovered. 

I'm fond of Stephen Covey's expression, "With people, slow is fast, and fast is slow."  When we slow down, people and the world come into focus.  It is from that place that we can see (and seize) opportunities, while being of service to others. 

I will share that I find this incredibly challenging.  My mind is often very speedy.  This week I intend to do my best to slow down.  On Friday night, I’ll be heading over to the beach with my spouse to hold her hand as the sun sets and we celebrate her birthday together.

So, go for that walk.  Get out of the office and have lunch with someone.  Chew and taste your food before swallowing.  Sit with a colleague and tell him or her what you really appreciate about them.  Be curious.  Ask heartfelt questions.  Breathe. And, when you are tempted to bounce off the walls like ricochet rabbit, remember to ask: 

Whaaaatttt…..Doessss…..AAAAAAA…..Yelllllllowwww…..Lighhhtttt…..Meeeannnn??????

No comments:

Post a Comment